We have all heard the myth “women are emotional and men are physical.” Well, I’m here to say MEN HAVE EMOTIONS TOO!
Men do show their emotions, but it is often in very different ways than we expect emotions to be shown. When someone says “you’re being emotional” the first think we think of is someone crying, whining, being sensitive, or just being feminine. The truth is emotions are feelings that are expressed in the physical sense.
While women are known to show emotions in a very outward way, men use a very physical manner to show their emotions.
The difference is that women usually know how they feel and express it, men have an idea of how they feel but decide to do something to deal with it.
Some of the things men do to deal with their feelings or emotions including:
- walking away from or leaving whatever is causing the intense emotion
- punching something or showing physical violence toward something
- shutting down all feelings and becoming silent and distant
Needless to say men can learn a thing or two from women on how to effectively express their emotions.
Most of the things men do to feel like a man are the very ways in which they express their emotions.
The problem is that men are traditionally taught to divide their emotions from their feelings. Women are taught to attach their feelings to their emotions so they are expressed properly.
Many times when a man expresses his emotions, it is often after they have been suppressed for extremely long periods of time. That suppression of his emotions causes him to express his emotions at different periods in his life and in many case in a destructive manner as the ones listed above.
To avoid being destructive with his emotions, men must learn how to balance feelings and emotions. Men must understand that they can be strong and emotional. In fact, learning how to express your emotions will strengthen all of your relationships, especially with the women in your life.
If you are a man who seeks to express his emotions better or a woman who wants to help a man express himself try these simple steps.
- First understand what feeling is trying to be expressed.
- Think about an action you can take to make you feel better. But always fast forward to the effect of the result to ensure it is aligned with what you really want. For example, don’t cheat if you feel disconnected from your spouse. This will put even more distance between you. Instead, try talking to your wife about it.
- Take the time to try and verbalize any feeling so that it may be expressed in the best manner.
- Finally, create a practice of cultivating self-awareness. Having emotions is part of being human. So the more you get to know yourself, the more you’ll understand how you feel during intense periods of emotion.
The bottom-line is every manly expression such as cheering for your favorite sports team, fighting, or chasing women is an emotion being expressed. Those emotions are attached to feelings that are rarely understood. So what should be understood is that men do indeed have emotions, not just females, but they are just expressed in different ways.
As men learn to express their emotions in more productive ways, the more balance they will become as human beings.
Powered by Facebook Comments